Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Employers wanting CPC's to take coding competency exams

Exam Training Packages
    I don't see the problem with an employer presenting their own coding competency exam. It doesn't bother me in the least to take "yet another" exam to prove my coding capabilities and knowledge. Yes, I'm a certified CPC, but by taking their test, it keeps me sharp - helps me to see the kind of coding/coder they're expecting as well, keeps me on top of any weak area's I might have. Usually, their "in house" tests reflect the type of scenario's in their facility. The tests are usually more focused around their services/procedures. It only gives us more "ammo" (if you will) IF they offer us a position - by passing their exam and already have our CPC or whatever other kind of credential, we have more negotiating power.

I hear AHIMA requires their members to take 2 short exams that they (the member) have to pay for themselves as part of their renewal process!! (that's above and beyond their annual membership fee!)

bring on the tests, I enjoy them and LOVE the practice!! - they benefit me more than they do the employer... at least that's the way I see it. I purchase different study guides each year just for the extra practice!

{that's my opinion on the posted matter}
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

Quote Originally Posted by mmorningstarcpc View Post
    cBlackwater, I agree with what you are saying, however, in my area there is a school that teaches people how to pass the test by cheating. These people get credential and CANT code. No idea what they are doing, AND no respect for the crendetial. I understand this is not the only area. So, in theory you are correct, in the real world, you are not.

I have been tested a couple of times in the past by potential employers. One was based on just the specialty of the practice, I felt that was fair. Others have been in general and were pretty much no brainers, and a bit insulting, but I guess they want to weed out those like referenced above.

My 2 cents....

Machelle
    CPC, CPC-H, CPC-E/M
    What exactly do you mean by cheating?

I was wondering that also - about the cheating -.... a school that "teaches" cheating? how can you cheat on the tests? How do they "teach" how to cheat?
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

Chad,

I am only going to say that I am not going into details because I dont want to get into a big discussion about it. I will say that some people in my area have notified AAPC about it. That is one of the reasons I have posted in other areas to check very carefully the schools and/or programs you are applying for, or are interested in. Make sure they are reputable.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorningstarcpc View Post
    Chad,

I am only going to say that I am not going into details because I dont want to get into a big discussion about it. I will say that some people in my area have notified AAPC about it. That is one of the reasons I have posted in other areas to check very carefully the schools and/or programs you are applying for, or are interested in. Make sure they are reputable.
    In my state every examination conducted has proctors. When I took the exam in Madison, Wisconsin, the proctor searched through every coder’s manual thoroughly; so cheating was an impossibility. People have accused me of cheating and still do because of a post I made early this year that was 100 PERCENT TRUE.

I'm with you Chad - I wouldn't know how anyone could possible cheat on the tests. Same thing happened when I took my test "way back when" - bags were checked, books were checked - once we were ready and everything was on the table, tables were checked... a couple tests takers books were taken from them and they had to use the proctors books that they brought (thank goodness they brought them), or the test takers wouldn't have been able to test! Apparently, they wrote too many notes in their books...

anyway -
    Have to ask - what'd you write earlier in the year that made waves? I'm just curious...
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12