I've done work for Hospitalist Groups and several others on here have done coding for them. My experience is Hospitalists probably shouldn't be doing their own CPT coding, but most practices still do. And it sounds like that is the case with you. So what I've done is;
- Develop an E&M spreadsheet by provider (looks like you have done that). Identify outliers both on the low and high end.
-Audit a sampling of each providers coding to the chart documentation
-Based on findings develop an in service for the providers focusing on documentation and coding.Meet individually with the problem providers with actual documentation/coding examples
-Establish a monthly meeting to review overall trends in E&M Levelling etc
-You might also do a more complete integrity audit to see if there are missing charges. This would be tracking a sampling of the hospitalists coding from the chart through billing to see if there is a need to develop an improved accountability process.
The problem areas I have seen have included under and occasionally over coding of Levels. Simply incorrect coding where the provider will use the same Level throughout the hospitalization. Incorrectly coding discharge day services. and a lack of understanding of Observation and Critical Care documentation and coding. And typically significant provider turnover requiring an ongoing credentialing/education process. But besides that there are no problems! As I stated above they probably shouldn't do their own coding..
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join