AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Pre-Operative markings for Plastic Reconstruction

Question Pre-Operative markings for Plastic Reconstruction

AAPC: Back to School
    Hi Everyone!

I have a quick question,

Are pre-operative markings of the breast considered to be a global component for Plastic Surgery that is scheduled the next day. I am auditing a chart and I cannot come up with a clear distinct answer.
    I am trying to determine if the E/M service could be billed or is it a component of the H & P prior to surgery????
    I would appreciate other's input.......

Thanks in advance,

I have never coded plastics, but in my field of spine surgery the day before surgery is always included in the global period, unless that was when the decision for surgery was made. If the decision for surgery was made & the MD marked the breasts that same day,(being the day before surgery) I would append modifier 57 to the E&M visit. Hope that helps.

Similar Threads

1. Pre-operative labs
    By JCampbell in forum Medicare Regulations
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 01:44 PM
  2. pre operative exams
    By hergett in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 03:16 PM
  3. Chest wall resection/plastic reconstruction NO tumor
    By IHAVELKA in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 2