This is NOT my area of expertise, but ...
These two codes are bundled per CCI edits, so you definitely need a modifier if they are performed on two different segments.
Also you state you are coding for an assist ... your physician should be coding the exact same code(s) as the primary surgery with the 80 modifier (or 82 if you're in a teaching hospital). So check with the primary surgeon's coder, because these should be identical.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC CPC-E/M
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join