I work for a Gastroenterologist who recently performed a follow up colonoscopy on an est.
pt with a 10 year history of ulcerative colitis. The physician removed a 3 mm polyp with cold biopsy forceps in the sigmoid colon. He also obtained biopsies every 10 cm due to the patients long history of ulcerative colitis. The charge was 88305 x 13 units and 88312 x1 unit. Medicare paid for the 88312 and denied 88305.
I have tried to find the actual policy regarding maximum unit edits and have unable to find it. I want to make sure I use modifier 59 correctly. I would appreciate any help I can get.
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Practicode (online coding simulation)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Book Store
- Log In / Join