You should be using the 27327/27328. These are the codes that accurately report the excision and the depth that the doctor had to obtain to get there. When I look at my cross coder through Encoder Pro, the lipoma diagnosis is there. ( I do not let a diagnosis from a pathology report determine my codes for me.)
Per the CPT guidelines (of course I can't quote them right now because I can't locate where it says this..but...) you should only code from the integumentary section for excision of lesions when there is NOT an applicable code in the musculoskeletal section of the CPT book.
hope this helps
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join