Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ICD-10 Recertification??

Exam Training Packages
    Reed Pew spoke at our state conference last week, there will be an online ICD-10 exam of some sort. You will have a year grace period before and after. He didn't mention you can take it as many times as you'd like. Still a few years away, things are in the works, and I'm sure things will change.

Holding your credential means that you are up to date on the most current knowledge, I'm glad they are requiring us to do this.

I'm wondering if those of us with multiple certs from AAPC must take different I-10 exams for each? My payer exam required coding for Hospital IP procedures from Vol III I-9. Guess I'd need to know if I-10-PCS will be on that exam.

Post Response to thread
    * You will be given two (2) years to take and pass, beginning October 1, 2012 (one year before implementation of ICD-10) and ending September 30, 2014 (one year after implementation)
    * There will be 75 questions
    * It will be open-book, online and un-proctored
    * Coders will have two (2) attempts at passing for the $60 administration fee

Quote Originally Posted by jamiemarie View Post
    * You will be given two (2) years to take and pass, beginning October 1, 2012 (one year before implementation of ICD-10) and ending September 30, 2014 (one year after implementation)
    * There will be 75 questions
    * It will be open-book, online and un-proctored
    * Coders will have two (2) attempts at passing for the $60 administration fee

Since we can't take the exam until Oct 2012, it doesn't make sense to involve yourself in any intensive study for the exam right away (codes will change between now and then). I have the 2010 draft, and have begun to familiarize myself with the book. The guidelines for diagnosis coding and sequencing are very much the same as ICD-9, only the numbers/letters are different, and there's much more specificity. I recently attended the bootcamp, and had the opportunity to try some ICD-10-CM coding. It was different, but not difficult, and I got all of the answers correct. (If I can do it, anyone can do it!) The focus at this point should be to work with your vendors, payers, and IT people to make sure you're going to be ready for 5010, and subsequently I-10.

It's funny..I've been ranting about ICD-10 for about a year now, after hearing Deb Grider speak at the Norfolk conference last fall. I was ignored like a redneck cousin at a family reunion. Anyway, this week, our PHO had a presentation on ICD-10 implementation (sponsored by AAPC), who laid it all out in regards to the preparation, cost and implementation strategies and issues. OMG, now I'm everybody's new best friend.

Have a good weekend. Pam
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

That is such a good thing to know. Although I welcome more training, I would not want to have to go through another year and half just to be certified in ICD-10-CM. I am so happy that we will only be tested on our knowledge of it.

Smile Thanks for all the info
    Greatly appreciated. DM

Default Figures
    Why am I not surprised that AAPC has decided to charge us for this mandatory exam... Got to get every last buck you can from us! Our yearly membership fee should cover this exam.

8. Default Icd competency test
    If the icd10 competency test is not passed by coders is there a suspension to our cpc certification or what?

9. Default
    what i understand from my instructors at the college i go to we will just have to take an exam on ICD-10 and we are having a boot camp type thing to learn about the changes. i believe i have seen some on the AAPC website too

10. Default
    From my understanding (I saw this about a few months ago) we will need to be re-certified. I believe (from my memory) that it is a 75 multiple choice exam that we must take on I-10 and we can use any resources available to us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12