AAPC - August DL Sale: 50% OFF
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ICD-10 Recertification??

Default ICD-10 Recertification??

AAPC: CPC Promo
    A couple of co-workers and I were wondering if we will have to get re-certified when ICD-10 comes around? Does anybody know anything about how that is going to work?

Thanks
    Jessica

My inpatient coding instructor studied at Georgetown University and said it was unlikely.
    Last edited by 007CPC; 10-08-2008 at 10:08 PM.

gosh, I hope they do have an exam or two for us to complete when ICD-10 hits! I'd like to be sure I understand how to use it. Re-exam/extra exam/knowledge testing and understanding - {shrugs}, I don't see how it's a bad idea... I welcome it...
    that being said, it's my understanding there won't be any requirement for recertification with ICD-10 (but again, I'd sure welcome the opportunity!)

{that's my opinion on the posted matter}
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

You will be required to complete an online competency exam on ICD-10-CM ones the ruling becomes final. Your certification will be tied to it. We will more than likely give a grace period of 1 year before and a few months after for your to complete it. It will only include ICD-10-CM questions.
    Rhonda Buckholtz, CPC, CPC-I, CGSC, COBGC, CEPDC, CENTC
    Vice President, ICD-10
    AAPC
    800-626-2633 ext 183
    814-673-7177
    Fax: 814-217-0447
    rhonda.buckholtz@aapc.com

that's good to know. seems right to be tested in some way to show our understanding of ICD-10 - after all, it's much more detailed than ICD-9. It makes sense to be required to take a compentency test. Any new coders that are certified once ICD-10 takes place will be dealing/testing with ICD-10 codes... we "established" coders BETTER know ICD-10 and be able to step up to the plate on it....can't go forward to ICD-10 using ICD-9 codes

I can't wait for ICD-10...
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

I don't mean to sound dumb here......but per Rhonda we will have a grace period of one year before to take the online ICD-10 exam. How can we take it one year before if we won't even have the ICD-10 book since it is not scheduled to officialy happen until Oct. 2011?
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P
    Compliance Auditor

You can read the Rules on the Federal Register. CMS has a great presentation coming up (I saw this at the Coordination and Maintenance Mtg there) soon, find it at CMS.gov. There are several other resources out there to prepare. Plus some of the publishers have book available, maybe in draft form.

Machelle
    CPC, CPC-H, CPC-E/M

Default Sarah RN BSN CPC

I was at the Northwest Coding Conference this weekend in Portland Oregn. Reed Pew spoke, and he stated we would have 1 year before and 1 year after implementation of the ICD-10 to be tested. It would be open book, non-proctored and we can take it as many times as we want. The cost will be much less too. This is how I understood it anyway,

Sarah and Rhonda: Thanks for the useful information. Good to know the AAPC and AHIMA arn't going to render a full-scale ICD-10 recertification exam.

Hi
    I am interested in getting started with some type of training.
    Can you provide come guidance?
    I reside in NY and would prefer local/online seminars.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast