Pap W/ Pediatrics

Default Pap W/ Pediatrics
    Medical Coding Books
    One of our female providers did a pap on a 17 yo patient that was in the office for a well woman exam. The patient has aetna insurance-- is this billed out the same way as a reqular pap w/ a family practice dr? there was no mention of a breast exam done. We have an EMR and the dr just coded as a req ov (not even a well exam) and when I confirmed w/ the mgr she stated that they usually include the pap (since it is rarely) done into the well visit -- so I guess what I am asking for help w/ on the coding it out- the dx used is V01.89 - and the pt got the garisil immuz on top of it.

Thanks for any help

I don't really understand your post, but - from what I gather from it - It sounds like it was a preventive visit and I would have coded it as follows:
    99394.25 (or 99384.25 if new pt) V70.0
    88142 (pap) V76.2
    90649 (gardasil) V04.89
    90471 (admin of gardasil)
    I would have talked to the provider to clarify what they "really" did - IF they didn't really do a preventive - then I guess it would be:
    992xx.25 (with whatever level & dx's are supported in documentation)
    88142 (pap) V76.2
    90649 (gardasil) V04.89
    90471 (admin of gardasil)

either way, I don't see an issue with the pap being done? the preventive services we provide for our female patients, they usually do have an anual pap. Sometimes done more frequently in high risk situations.

don't know, maybe I missed the whole issue with this post - but in any case, that's my opinion....
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

Default pap w/ well
    Thanks alot for your response- I know I was kinda out there trying to explain it-- where I work they have me all turned around somedays and that was one of the days

I agree with everything (dmaec True Blue) stated. Except the cpt code for the pap smear. I'm assuming your physician just collected the pap smear and sent it out. If this is the case, you need to use HCPCS code Q0091. V76.2 for collection of a pap smear. The code stated by (dmaec True Blue) is correct only if your doing the collection and interpreting the sample in house.

Respectfully
    Daniel, CPC