62290: coding guideline

1. Default 62290: coding guideline
    Medical Coding Books
    when using the 62290 code do you list individual levels within the lumbar or code it multiple times within each area(lumbar)with each single level

62290 is to be coded for each level that the procedure is performed. I would separate them out on individual line items and apply the 59 modifier as indicated.

3. Default 62290 ICD-10 code
    What would the ICD-10 code be that is covered for the lumbar discography?

That will vary by payer, you'll have to check each payer's coverage guidelines.
    Meagan Strauss, CPC, CEMC
    Coding Coordinator
    The NeuroMedical Center
    Baton Rouge, LA

The diagnosis seems to be based on the results of the discogram such as a final report describing for example the disc appears to have annular tears (M51.36/M51.37) or there appears to be disc displacement (M51.26/M51.16/M51.26/M51.27). Or one or two of the discs have pathology and the other discs are normal in appearance. The physician typically would state a pre-operative and post-operative diagnosis, If the disc are normal and the reason for the test was radiculopathy (M54.16/M54.17) then the sign or symptom that prompted the test would be reported when there is not a definitive diagnosis that was reached.

6. Default Billing 77003 with 62290?
    Hello,

I recently started billing Discograms, 62290. I am billing Fluoroscopic Guidance code 77003 with it, using modifiers 59, 26. 77003 is getting denied by Novitas. Denial reason is "The procedure is inconsistent with the modifier used or a required modifier is missing".

I referred to the list of Eligible Surgical Modifiers from the Novitas website and 26 is not listed, I think I need to remove the 26.

How are others billing the Fluoroscopic Guidance with 62290?

Thanks,

Kelly, CPC
    Kelly Armstrong, CPC

Flouro is not paid separately
    Kelly A Mcfadyen, CPC

8. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by KMCFADYEN View Post
    Flouro is not paid separately
    Ok, thank you!
    Kelly Armstrong, CPC

Quote Originally Posted by kelly.armstrong View Post
    Hello,

I recently started billing Discograms, 62290. I am billing Fluoroscopic Guidance code 77003 with it, using modifiers 59, 26. 77003 is getting denied by Novitas. Denial reason is "The procedure is inconsistent with the modifier used or a required modifier is missing".

I referred to the list of Eligible Surgical Modifiers from the Novitas website and 26 is not listed, I think I need to remove the 26.

How are others billing the Fluoroscopic Guidance with 62290?

Thanks,

Kelly, CPC

26 is allowed with 77003; we bill this every day (although not for disco procedures). I would list it before the 59 though, if warranted.

I do agree that 77003 should not be billed with 62290.

The only other thing we bill with 62290 is 72295-26 for rad S&I, per notation right beneath 62290 in the CPT book.
    Meagan Strauss, CPC, CEMC
    Coding Coordinator
    The NeuroMedical Center
    Baton Rouge, LA

10. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mhstrauss View Post
    26 is allowed with 77003; we bill this every day (although not for disco procedures). I would list it before the 59 though, if warranted.

I do agree that 77003 should not be billed with 62290.

The only other thing we bill with 62290 is 72295-26 for rad S&I, per notation right beneath 62290 in the CPT book.

Thanks so much! I see the notation now for 72295. I don't know how I missed that before. I appreciate your help!

Kelly
    Kelly Armstrong, CPC