Our physicians often order a CMP and protein electrophoresis together. We do a CMP (CPT code 80053) here at our facility, and send the serum protein electrophoresis to our reference lab. A total protein (CPT 84155) is a component of the CMP we do here, but it is also a component of the serum protein electrophoresis that is done at the reference laboratory. We are being reimbursed for the 80053 however our ref. lab is not being reimbursed for the 84165, how do we handle this situation?
I just want to clarify that we are only billing for the 80053 and 84165, not 84155?
- Medical Coding
- Medical Billing
- Practice Management
- Exam Preparation
- Other Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Virtual Coding Experience (Practicode)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Log In / Join