Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routine exam

Default Routine exam

The way the coding guidelines are now, we can file a separate E/M at the same time as a preventive exam. With the new I-10 codes, there is a code for encounter for medical exam without abnormal findings Z00.00 and a code for exam with abnormal findings Z00.01. With this addition, will this mean the separate E/M would not be used?

Maybe. The documentation would have to clearly reflect that the patient had no complaints or issues, then upon the exam the provider finds a problem that was unexpected.
    But rather than a preventive with an ov why not bill a high level supported by the document with the 33 modifier.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

I thought the 33 modifier was only for procedures like a screening colonoscopy that turned diagnostic.

There is no restriction to the use of the 33 modifier, it is only that most examples only explain the 33 modifier with the colonoscopy example. Also I would like to point out that in no way am I promoting fraud which a fellow member has seen fit to point that finger at me.. I am saying that for ICD-10 CM the code states general exam with abnormal finding.. this means the patient cannot present with a complaint and the documentation must be clear about this. It is not unusual for the provider to find an abnormality during a routine yearly exam.. such as a breast lump.
    The use of the 33 modifier on a high level office visit was first suggested by the AMA in a newsletter in Dec of 2010. I do not see how in anyway this suggests fraud!

Do the insurance carriers apply preventative care policies such as "no deductible, and no copay" to a regular E/M code (for example 99214) when billed with mod 33?
    Melissa Jewett, CPC

That is the way it is suppose to work.

hmmm I hadn't thought of using the mod with E/M I think that could really work, solves the whole is this a prevenative or E/M or both question....
    Melissa Jewett, CPC

I think It will also but do be prepared to appeal it, the payers have been just as confused about the 33 modifier as everyone else.

Thank you for the info
    Melissa Jewett, CPC

Interesting topic! I queried my company top ten carriers regarding modifier 33 and they came back with " modifier 33 is not recognized and does not alter payment" but I never though or considered using it on an e/m.

Has anyone had any success utilizing it?
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast