AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Basic drug question

Default Basic drug question

AAPC: Back to School
    What is the cutoff for billing drugs that do not neatly fit into the HCPCS drug codes? Example: Depo-Medrol for 10mg or Botulinum Toxin Type B for 3250 units

Do I bill the Depo at .5 units or do I use a whole J1020 or do I not bill for the Depo at all? For the Botox, do I bill J0587 x 32 or x33?

If you are billing for a Medicare patient, check out the Medicare Claims Processing Manual (100-4, Chapter 17, section 30; (http://www.cms.hhs.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c17.pdf) If you are giving a drug from a single-use vial, you may bill for the entire vial if you document the amount given and how much was wasted. You may need to use modifier -JW with the HCPCS code. Using injections from multi-use vials is also addressed.

Similar Threads

1. Basic documentation question
    By rdoll in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2014, 12:49 PM
  2. Basic Excision question
    By bmapc2 in forum Dermatology
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 08:16 AM
  3. Basic xray question/help!!!
    By tgesmundo in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 1