Code 44960 and code 44900 are bundled according to the National Correct Coding Edits. So I believe code 44960 is all you should bill for the first day.
For the surgery performed a few days later I would bill 49002-78.
CPT states code 49020 "Drainage of peritoneal abscess or localized peritonitis EXCLUSIVE of appendiceal abscess; open". So code 49020 is not to be used when related to a appendiceal abscess.
Code 49081 is not an open code the lay description in General Surgery Coding Companion 2008, indicates this procedure involves withdrawing fluid with a needle.
I hope this helps,
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join