Thread: ICD generator change with lead eval

Default ICD generator change with lead eval

In the CPT book it says Fluroscopy can't be used with codes 33206-33249 but to report fluorscopic guidance for diagnostic lead evulation w/o lead insertion, replacement or revision prodecures use 76000.

I have a procedure where the MD did a ICD generator change (33263) and then under fluorscopy check the leads for position. This sounds like it falls under the guidelines to bill 76000. I'm I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbin109 View Post
    In the CPT book it says Fluroscopy can't be used with codes 33206-33249 but to report fluorscopic guidance for diagnostic lead evulation w/o lead insertion, replacement or revision prodecures use 76000.

I have a procedure where the MD did a ICD generator change (33263) and then under fluorscopy check the leads for position. This sounds like it falls under the guidelines to bill 76000. I'm I correct?
    According to the guidelines the 76000 is only reportable for diagnostic lead evaluation without insertion, replacment or revision procedures/ Since your physician is checking position of the lead after placing I would say this is not a diagnostic evaluation and should not be billed.

Just my opinion....
    Terri Winsor, CPC, CCC

I would bill it with the 76000 because the physician only did a generator change. As long as he did nothing to the leads you should be fine to bill flouroscopy.
    Leah, CCC

Checking lead position after placement is not the same as evaluating a lead.
    Terri Winsor, CPC, CCC

What would consider "evaluation of a lead"?

The CPT books says " Radiological supervision and interpretation related to the pacemaker or pacing cardioverter-defibrillator procedure is included in 33206-33249. To report fluoroscopic guidance for diagnostic lead evaluation without lead insertion, replacement, or relacement or revision procedures, use 76000"

....so it's not ANY insertion/replace/revision procudures, but LEAD insert/replace/revision procedures.

He is basically checking the positions of the leads after changing the battery which he needs fluroscopy to do. Code 33263 isn't included in the range 33206-33249 mentioned above.

Thoughts?