Thread: featl demise 17-19 weeks and vaginal delivery

Default featl demise 17-19 weeks and vaginal delivery

I have a situation where a pt went to the e.r with excessive bleeding and no prenatal care. The pt went through a vaginal delivery. Would this still be billed as 59409?

CPT say for medical treatmet of spontaneous complete abortion (miscarriage), any trimester, use E/M codes 99201-99233. Was the fetus born alive or did it die inutero?
    adrianne, cpc

Question Inevitable Abortion

I have a similar situation,

This patient was PPROM and vaginal bleeding @ 19 wks, pt was given misoprostol and delivered baby with apgar 1*1*1*9, doctor checked vaginal delivery,
    Should it just be admission and sub with DX 635.70 LEGAL AB W COMP NEC-NOS, 658.23 PROLONG RUPT MEMB-AP ?

As far as the dx code, look to the coding guidelines... If the baby is delivered live at birth regardless of how long the baby lives then it is a delivery 650 if it is normal with a V code for the outcome of liveborn. I am not certain of using an E&M code if the physician documents a preterm delivery.

Here is a link to ACOG explaining what they think you should bill before and after 20 weeks. I had a similiar situation to yours and I billed an E&M with the placenta delivery code.

http://www.acog.org/from_home/depart...-abortions.pdf

Default Link suggested above

The link suggested above does not work anymore.

Similar Threads

1. fetal demise 20.5 weeks
    By kcronin@hallmarkhealth.org in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2015, 07:25 AM
  2. delivery of fetal demise at 20.5
    By kcronin@hallmarkhealth.org in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2015, 09:40 AM
  3. 22 weeks fetal demise
    By amottice in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 2