AAPC - Back to school

Thread: About Billing Xrays With Ortho

Default About Billing Xrays With Ortho

AAPC: Back to School
    I Do Billing For Ortho (asc). They Do Xrays With C-arm When Doing The Procedure. When You Look In Ingenix Coding Companion Book They Will Tell You If A Seperate Billiable Xray Is Allowed. Has Anyone Ever Billed And Gotten Paid For Xray?any Payor

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Medicare and Medicaid will not pay an ASC for the use of c-arm (payment indicator is N1) however commercial payors do pay (double check your contracts to make sure payment is allowed for the revenue code). If the CCI edits allow with the procedure, the most common are 76000, 77002, 77003 (dont forget your TC modifier for the ASC).

Hope this helps

why would you not bil a xray code because when you look up definition of c-arm it state portable x-ray?

the 77003, 77002 and 76000 are the correct codes for the fluoro that they are doing under the c-arm. The c-arm is operated by or under the supervision of the physician performing the surgery. The surgeon generally will dictate the findings within his operative report apposed to sending them out to be read by a radiologist.

I'm not a radiology expert but I believe that the equipment that is used for the regular x-rays are are also of a much higher quality and produces films of various nature where as the c-arm has limited capabilities. (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Hope this helps

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When You Start With One Question It Leads To Another.

I have always billed for the fluoro guidanceMedicare, UHC and some of the workers compensation carriers don't pay for it, other than that we do get reimbursed for it so bill away....