Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remote Coding

1. Default
    Medical Coding Books
    I work remotely with Windows Vista and have never had an issue.
    ~Amy, CPC, CPMA, CEMC~
    Auditor/Consultant

2. Default
    Thanks, everyone for the info.

Beverly B.

when looking (at laptops) also keep in mind, what are you comfortable with as far as keyboards go. I personally HATE the numbers across the top of the keyboard simply because I love the 10-key on the side, I am much quicker and more accurate. I actually went and purchased the 10-key adapter and mouse to go with mine. I use my desktop 98% of the time but the laptop is nice when I go on vacation (but still work remotely). I also have Vista and have had no issues, but like the others have mentioned, you should double check the job requirements.

Food for thought

4. Default
    Is it possible to get a good laptop for under $1000 (like, around $500) to provide the capabilities for remote coding?

5. Default
    I paid $425 on sale at best buy for mine about 5 months ago. I haven't had any problems. It is a Toshiba. I love it. It also had Vista on it.

November and December there will be some awesome deals out there for lap tops

Default Remote Coding Laptops
    Make sure you have a minimum of 1 GB Ram to run multiple applications at one time. Many PCs have duo core processors now and even quad core processors which helps to keep your speed up a bit if you are working on productivity with a remote position. Are you wanting an hourly or productivity position?

8. Default
    WOW I am so glad many of you spoke up about Vista. I will diffently be buying a laptop beginning of the year and I won't be afraid now, considering what all you had to say. Thank you all !!!!

9. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by tetzlaffanne View Post
    Make sure you have a minimum of 1 GB Ram to run multiple applications at one time. Many PCs have duo core processors now and even quad core processors which helps to keep your speed up a bit if you are working on productivity with a remote position. Are you wanting an hourly or productivity position?

I really don't much about doing remote coding, so I am not sure...but hourly sounds better.

10. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmon View Post
    I was told by a representative of a coding program when they trained me, that all of the new computers would only have Vista and do not buy them, they will not work with 99% of the coding programs. To get a computer with the last version of windows you had to order one online. A friend of mine just went to a computer repair store and he ordered her what she needed, set her up to code online. I would be leary about trying to buy a system and it not work with the program of the company you are working for. It might cause a lot of grief for you or them. I have 2 programs I code in, both are web based, and both are clearly different from each other. If you have a computer, I think I'd find the job first, then ask what their requirements are, or look at some requirements from job postings about the system they are requiring.
    I just spoke with someone from Maxim and he told me not to get a computer with VISTA...He said to get a computer with Windows XP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast