Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remote Coding

1. Default Remote Coding
    Exam Training Packages
    I am hoping to do some remote coding in the near future, and I am in the process of purchasing a computer. Can anyone who is currently doing remote coding give me some advise on what to look for in purchasing a computer. I am really interesting in a laptop...Will a laptop suffice?

Beverly B.

2. Default
    Yes a laptop works just fine for remote coding. Make sure you have enough memory and it is high speed connection. Also many companies are not yet using Vista so make sure you buy one that will be compatiable with logging into your companies work site.
    Kelly Long CPC, CFE
    Manager Audit and Compliance

Hi Kelly,
    Is your company hiring at this time?
    ScottShar

4. Default
    Thanks...But how will I know what is enough memory...is there something more specific that I need to look for...I would hate to spend a lot of money and get the wrong computer.

Beverly B.

5. Default
    I think pretty much all of the current laptops have enough memory. I bought a Dell Inspiron 1520 for $1000 and am very happy with it.
    Kelly Long CPC, CFE

6. Default Scottshar
    No, they actually just let go quite a few remote contract coders.
    Kelly Long CPC, CFE

7. Default computer
    Quote Originally Posted by babsgb2003 View Post
    I am hoping to do some remote coding in the near future, and I am in the process of purchasing a computer. Can anyone who is currently doing remote coding give me some advise on what to look for in purchasing a computer. I am really interesting in a laptop...Will a laptop suffice?

Beverly B.
    I use a laptop and it works fine, just be sure it has adequate RAM, which most do now anyway.

8. Default
    I was told by a representative of a coding program when they trained me, that all of the new computers would only have Vista and do not buy them, they will not work with 99% of the coding programs. To get a computer with the last version of windows you had to order one online. A friend of mine just went to a computer repair store and he ordered her what she needed, set her up to code online. I would be leary about trying to buy a system and it not work with the program of the company you are working for. It might cause a lot of grief for you or them. I have 2 programs I code in, both are web based, and both are clearly different from each other. If you have a computer, I think I'd find the job first, then ask what their requirements are, or look at some requirements from job postings about the system they are requiring.

Default Remote Coding
    I use Windows Vista for my remote coding contracts. I have three different contracts that use three different coding programs and they all work fine.

Tammy

10. Default
    My full time remote auditing position I have to use Windows XP. With my remote consulting position I could use Windows or Vista.

I agree double check with future places of employment to see what their requirements are.

Good Luck!!
    Kelly Long CPC, CFE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast