can 30930 outfracture of turbs and 30140 smr be coded together?

1. Default can 30930 outfracture of turbs and 30140 smr be coded together?
    Medical Coding Books
    In cpt manual there is a note that 30930 and 30140 can't be coded together. However, I have seen these coded together with a -59 modifier. Is this ok? Thanks!

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ncantello View Post
    In cpt manual there is a note that 30930 and 30140 can't be coded together. However, I have seen these coded together with a -59 modifier. Is this ok? Thanks!
    Hello,
    These are two individual services only. Still it is better always to code 30140 first, followed by 30930-59.

since the CPT codes states NOT to bill them together and the CCI edits bundle them, I do not see how you could possibly justify using the -59 modifier (unless you are coding for payment...which I hope you are not)

Default No, it's not okay
    I agree with Mary. CPT clearly states not to do this. They are bundled per CCI edits. I don't know how it could be more clearly stated.

This is not my area of expertise, but I will pose an additional question ...
    Could this be a case where the left side and right side of the nose were treated differently? Perhaps that's where someone has tried to use the -59 modifier to clarify the uniqueness of the process for that patient?

F Tessa Bartels, CPC,CPC-E/M

5. Default
    Thanks! I think I read somewhere that 30930 will be eliminated in future editions of CPT, so until then, I'll make sure to only code one. Thanks for all the help!

Similar Threads

1. Turbinate Outfracture and Reduction HELP
    By ms.coderll in forum ENT/Otolaryngology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 01:04 PM
  2. outfracture of submucous resection inferior turbinate
    By coder067 in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM
  3. Documentation for SMR of Inferior Turbs
    By lburris in forum ENT/Otolaryngology
    Replies: 0