AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Insurance Only

Default Insurance Only

AAPC: Back to School

My doctor wants to have follow-up ultrasounds done on patients after they have an IUD inserted 2-4 weeks after the insertion to make sure the iud is in the porper position. A common side effect of these IUD is cramping, spotting or ovarian cyst. So we are to use the problem diagnosis with the ultrasound 76830. The problem I have is that we are to bill the insurance but we aren't suppose to collect any money from the patient if it goes to there deductible, or coins. Is this an accepted way to handle the financial portion without causing any legal burdens on us?? Any advice would be great. Lucy

Greeley, Colorado

NO NO NO! If you aren't going to bill the patient then you absolutely cannot bill the insurance. That is fraud plain and simple. Also, if the patient does not have any of those symptoms and he is simply doing the ultrasound to check the IUD the correct dx is V25.42.
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Charleston, South Carolina

Lisa, you took the words right out of my mouth. Well said!

Similar Threads

1. When to bill Vision insurance v. Medical insurance
    By SarahCaldwell in forum Ophthalmology/Optometry
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2015, 09:17 AM
  2. Insurance help ??
    By MsMaddy in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
  3. Insurance ONLY
    By 123smile4me@gmail.com in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0