Go Back   AAPC Forum > Medical Coding > OB/GYN
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 PM
jsanc07 is on a distinguished road
Default Hemoperinoteum Laparoscopic Evacuation

The patient presented to the ER with an etopic pregnancy. The doctor performed larparoscopic evacuation intraperiontenal hemorrhage & then proceded to remove tubal etopic pregnancy. Should you code to 568.81 ICD9 & CPT 4920 for the evacuation & 59151 for the removal of the etopic pregnancy? Thank you for your quick response.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:55 PM
valleyobgynut is on a distinguished road

you can't bill 49320 with 59151 they are inclusive. I would just bill the 59151 with dx 633.10. I think the evacuation of the hemoperitoneum is just part of the procedure.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 AM
True Blue
Lisa Bledsoe is on a distinguished road

You should not report a diagnostic laparoscopy (49320) in addition to the laparoscopic treatment of an ectopic pregnancy. See the definition for "separate procedure" in CPT. I would only code 59151/633.10.
Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA