Go Back   AAPC Forum > Medical Coding > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2010, 09:33 AM
New

ivyrose is on a distinguished road
Unhappy CPC exam - I failed....

I took my CPC exam & failed.......the entire test was mostly on CPT & ICD9 codes. There was hardly anything else on the exam that I studied hard for............. my score was 55% only as I had to answer about 10-15 questions by just marking any answer as time ran out. I am so upset.....
Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Networker

medcoder9 is on a distinguished road

What did you study hard for? I am taking mine in 17 days and I am scared. The sample test I took is hard. I also ran out of time and I failed. So Im really REALLLY nervous.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:19 AM
New

Red face CPC exam

I studied terminology, anatomy, medicare, etc., and there was not that many questions about these topics. Basically everything was CPT/ICD9 codes with senarios. Time is a REAL issue and thats where I faultered....I had to anwser at least 10 or more questions just by filling in the blank.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Networker

asasands is on a distinguished road

I just took my test and passed. I would really look at the radiology and pathology questions. Those are the only ones that I felt were difficult. Most of the questions are coding and the few that out just guess by process of elimination. The best thing to do is if you have questions with both CPT and ICD-9 codes eliminate the questions with the ICD-9 codes. The test I took all man of the icd-9 codes were wrong and it was easy to eliminate without know what the CPT code was.

Good Luck
Old 12-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Guru

AmandaW is on a distinguished road

And remember to use process of elimination next go around. DON'T try to code...I know that sounds crazy but just look up the codes they give you and rule them out one by one and know the fundamentals of coding and you'll do good!!

Amanda, CPC
Hospitalist E/M
Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 AM
New

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your inputs
Old 12-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Networker

drado72 is on a distinguished road

I just took mine for the first time and passed with an 84. I would definitely recommend going to the sections you feel most confident in and answer those questions first. Make sure you review the coding guidelines in the beginning of your ICD9 book and familiarize yourself with Pathology & Laboratory. Look to pick up on any clues to help you solve the problem, ie, POS, patient's age, if applicable. As our proctor told us, this is a coding exam and not a billing exam so don't expect billing questions.

Remember that the right answer is in front of you, read your question carefully, look up the ICD9 codes to help you eliminate wrong answers.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Contributor

kkfremane is on a distinguished road

I took my exam back in June and passed the first time w/ a score of 86. Go to the sections you are most comfortable w/first and also work the shortest scenarios first then go back and work the longer scenarios. Don't fall into the trap of spending alot of time on the long scenarios.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Networker

ithomas14 is on a distinguished road

Get to know your cpt book very well. Go page by page to see how the book it laid out. This will help you find codes quicker. As the others said, do the easy short questions first. Good luck on your next try.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM
New

codysmom is on a distinguished road

I took my CPC exam last Saturday and received my score this morning...I failed, but got a 68. The area I had the most difficulty with was Pathology and Laboratory, so that's the area I'm concentrating on as far as studying for the re-take.