Expand

Go Back   AAPC Forum > Medical Coding > Orthopaedics
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Guru

Kevinph84 is on a distinguished road
Question Soft Tissue Codes

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice. For the soft tissue tumor codes, should they only be reported for soft tissue tumors only? Here is an example:

The patient comes in for surgery for a soft tissue mass of right ankle. The provider goes through the skin and subcutaneous tissue to excise the 3 cm lesion. The lesion appears to be just above the retinaculum. The skin and subcutaneous layers were closed. The lesion was sent to pathology, where pathological analysis revealed the mass to be an organizing thrombus.

If it was a soft tissue tumor, I would've used:

Excision, tumor, soft tissue of leg or ankle area, subcutaneous; 3 cm or greater

Now we have an organizing thrombus. Could we still use the 27632 with diagnosis 453.6, or should I use the following CPT with the corresponding diagnosis:

Biopsy, soft tissue of leg or ankle area; superficial

Thank you all for your help.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 AM
True Blue

Bella Cullen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinph84 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice. For the soft tissue tumor codes, should they only be reported for soft tissue tumors only? Here is an example:

The patient comes in for surgery for a soft tissue mass of right ankle. The provider goes through the skin and subcutaneous tissue to excise the 3 cm lesion. The lesion appears to be just above the retinaculum. The skin and subcutaneous layers were closed. The lesion was sent to pathology, where pathological analysis revealed the mass to be an organizing thrombus.

If it was a soft tissue tumor, I would've used:

Excision, tumor, soft tissue of leg or ankle area, subcutaneous; 3 cm or greater

Now we have an organizing thrombus. Could we still use the 27632 with diagnosis 453.6, or should I use the following CPT with the corresponding diagnosis:

Biopsy, soft tissue of leg or ankle area; superficial

Thank you all for your help.
I would code this as 27632 with 238.1 primary dx and 453.6 secondary dx.

Because you didn't know it was a thrombus until path came back so that is why I would code the reason for the tumor excision as the first diagnosis and the findings of what it is as secondary dx.