Go Back   AAPC Forum > Medical Coding > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 PM
nhenderson is on a distinguished road
Default Coding for Peer to Peer

My doctor did a 10min phone call with another physician regarding a mutual patient, can he code for this? CPT 99441-99443 don't work since the conversation was not with the patient or family.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:39 PM
aaron.lucas is on a distinguished road

there really isnt a code for doctor to doctor conversations, so maybe an unlisted, but good luck getting that paid. i work for a PIP vendor in NJ, and we dont recommend payment for doctor to doctor phone calls. I would think any discussion between providers about a mutual patient would be considered "coordination of care" which is kind of an MDM thing, so it would be included in previous or subsequent office visits.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:28 AM
BRUKAT74 is on a distinguished road
Default Peer to peer

I understand the coordination of care being part of MDM when discussing a mutual patient between two treating physicians. I do wonder about charging for a Peer to Peer discussion with a gatekeeper physician that has never met the patient but is hired by a third party to explain why the treating physician ordered a procedure such as an MRI, CT, etc.