Expand

Go Back   AAPC Forum > Employment > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM
New

mcamposh@live.com is on a distinguished road
Unhappy FAILED CPC exam

I took the CPC exam a week ago and failed.. Should i purchase the Blitz videos to help me study for my next attempt?? Dont want to spend anymore money if its not worth it...... Does any body have any suggestions ?
Old 06-30-2012, 02:46 PM
New

jazzycoder is on a distinguished road

I took the test for the first time on June 23rd and missed it by 5 points. I ran out of time and just guessed on the icd-9 and hcpcs questions and those were the areas I made the lowest on. I ordered the practice exams 2 days before the test but they are very similar to actual test. So I am just going to study those and build uop my speed.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:01 PM
New

mcamposh@live.com is on a distinguished road
Unhappy FAILED CPC exam

Thanks for the advice i will purchase the practice exams from aapc, and review my icd-9 a little more so i can familirize my self with it.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Networker

gared111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfors2 View Post
Allison, are you finishing the test each time or running out of time? There are also techniques that will help you pass, besides knowledge, of course. If you are running out of time, here are a few suggestions.
Bring a water bottle to (sip) on. Try not to go to the restroom. Do not sit with a big Starbucks coffee either because after you do use the restroom, you will crash and burn. I don't think we really need snacks either, unless you're diabetic. Time is of the essence. Next, if you encounter a really long hard question, skip it and come back to it when you finish the others. Each question has the same point value, so don't waste precious time. I skipped question number one on my test. By the time I came back to it later, my mind was tuned in to figure it out quickly. Answer the questions by the process of elimination. If there are 3 answers that have 3 of the same cpt codes, and icd-9 codes, but different
e-codes, start by looking at the e-codes and you can quickly determine which answers are wrong. Use this philosophy for every question. By quickly eliminating two wrong answers, you now have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. Then those two answers will sound very similar, except the difference may be the approach, or any possible variable. At times, if I still couldn't tell and had to guess, I would go with the choice that was in the section I was testing on, such as musculoskeletal, since that was the section being tested. (still don't know if that was really right though, I only passed with a 77%)
I passed the exam last July on my first try. I am convinced it was because of these techniques my teacher taught us. After all this time I have my first job interview this Wednesday for a certified coder.
I am so rusty I am shaking in my boots now that I finally have an opportunity. At least they know I am a CPC-A who hasn't worked in the medical field and need training. This would be my dream job, so I have my fingers crossed. Good luck to you should you try again.
Excellent advice! I just wanted to add that it's also helpful if you take your test immediately following a review class, that way all the test taking tips you got from the teacher are fresh in your mind.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Guru

cingram is on a distinguished road

There are even some questions for coding you wont have to look up remember if it is in the 10000 section there will be some options that dont even have a 10000 code do thigns like that. I passed on my first try and had 2 hours left when I had finished the exam. If you finish early next time I highly reccommend that you DO NOT go over your answers because then you will 2nd guess yourself and start to change answers. HAVE FAITH in you knowlege and ability.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Contributor

YueQu is on a distinguished road

Even you pass the exam, it will be still a struggle that is waiting for you, I passed the exam last year, I am preparing the CPC-H and CCS, I think I can pass them, but I can not find the job in the coding area, nobody will hire a person wihtout experience, that will be your big struggle. I register in AAPC last Aug 2011, as you know there are 20000 new register increasing in AAPC since my register, are there 20000 jobs that will be waiting for you? That is a big trap!!!! You will be more upset later!!!!
It is a business for AAPC, only a business, not your hope and dream in this area!!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Contributor

YueQu is on a distinguished road
Default NO HOPE and DREAM

Even you pass the exam, it will be still a struggle that is waiting for you, I passed the exam last year, I am preparing the CPC-H and CCS, I think I can pass them, but I can not find the job in the coding area, nobody will hire a person wihtout experience, that will be your big struggle. I register in AAPC last Aug 2011, as you know there are 20000 new register increasing in AAPC since my register, are there 20000 jobs that will be waiting for you? That is a big trap!!!! You will be more upset later!!!!
It is a business for AAPC, only a business, not your hope and dream in this area!!