The Certified Documentation Expert Inpatient (CDEI)™ credential validates expertise in reviewing inpatient documentation for accuracy to support coding and clinical requirements. CDEI professionals provide feedback to providers to improve clinical documentation and facilitate ongoing documentation improvement to meet all requirements of the medical record. To become a CDEI, documentation professionals must demonstrate knowledge of pathophysiology, inpatient coding and billing guidelines, and healthcare payment models.
With a CDEI credential, you have:
- Expertise in reviewing medical documentation for accuracy.
- The ability to identify and communicate documentation deficiencies to providers to improve documentation for accurate coding.
- A sound knowledge of medical coding guidelines and regulations, including those specific to inpatient settings.
- A grasp of compliance and reimbursement concepts impacting the inpatient revenue cycle.
- A thorough understanding of anatomy, pathophysiology, and medical terminology necessary to correctly code using ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS.