Wiki Catheterization code

khemchand

Contributor
Best answers
Hi All,

I need help with one scenario for catheterization code.
A stent is placed in Right external iliac artery via left femoral access and catheter is advanced to right femoral artery and angiography is done.

Help me with
CPT codes for this scenario.

37221-RT angiogram is included
I suggest reading up on these in the CPT book as there is quite a bit of guidance on these:)

37220-37223

The physician treats an iliac artery occlusion or stenosis by endovascular revascularization (restoration of blood supply) in 37220. Access is gained using a small open incision or a percutaneous sheath. Typically, a femoral approach under local anesthesia is used. After sheath placement, intra-arterial heparin is administered. Using a retrograde approach and under angiographic guidance, the occlusion is crossed using a catheter and guidewire. The balloon catheter is inflated in order to dilate the vessel to a larger diameter. Report 37220 for revascularization of the initial vessel and 37222 for each additional vessel on the same side (ipsilateral). Report 37221 if stent placement follows; angioplasty within the same vessel is included in this code. Following dilation and stent deployment, an angiogram is performed to assure appropriate placement and to evaluate the final result. Report 37223 for each additional ipsilateral vessel into which a stent is placed.

To keep it simple, if a lower extremity has an intervention, the catheter position is bundled into the intervention. If there was no previous angiogram, the angiogram is coded with a modifier -59 or XU.
HTH,
Jim