Wiki Productivity for E and M Coding

A similar question was asked just last week, so I am literally copy/pasting my answer:
This subject has come up on the forum on several occasions. Try searching "productivity". There are a lot of factors going into how much a coder can code in an hour/day. IMO very generally, coders should be able to code E&M services in the ballpark of 12-15/hour. Surgeries (can vary a lot depending on if you're coding complex neurosurgery vs 15 appendectomies in a row) ballpark 4-6/hr.
Here are some examples of variables that could increase or decrease my expectation:
1) How well do the providers document? Some clinicians get it and all you have to do is assign the codes - all there in black and white. Other clinicians you may have to send 10 queries a day.
2) Are coders doing it all start to finish? ICD10, CPT, HCPCS, modifiers? In some situations, the clinicians provide codes and a coder simply reviews. Are they coding in office procedures in addition to E&M?
3) Computer systems? Are you using 1 fully integrated system that feeds you the work? Or do you use 15 different systems? Do you manually run a report for the encounters, then log into another system and individually look up each account, code it, then data entry that in system #3? Some systems have built in rules that basically act as an encoder to help eliminate things like excludes notes errors in diagnoses.
4) Experience and/or specialties. For example, someone who codes ortho all day long will get familiar with many codes and not have to look them up each time. Someone who codes ortho and IM Monday, ob and GI Tuesday, surgery and plastics Wednesday, endo and GI Thursday, neuro and cardiology Friday is not going to be nearly as productive.
5) What other tasks are they performing? Are they expected to take patient calls? Does your company have daily 1 hour mandatory meetings? Do they need to confirm insurance? Are they doing any authorizations?
Also remember if I expect E&M coding of 12-15/hr, that does not mean an 8 hour shift will be 96-120. I probably expect more like 72-90/day - allowing for breaks, email, etc. I have seen a lot of variance. Some people have posted they are expected to do 30 charts per hour. Some companies use accuracy metrics only.
AHIMA came out with this article a few years ago about coding productivity.