Wiki Remote US coding/auditing jobs when living outside the US

twizzle

Best answers
Can I, as a seasoned coder/auditor/educator, work remotely for a US organization if I live in Europe? I know previously, due to HIPAA requirements, this was not possible but things have now changed but I'm not clear as to how much they've changed.

What I'm looking for is only a few hours per week (say 10 - I know this is unlikely but possible) to keep me out of trouble during retirement! My specialty is really in auditing E/M.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi there, the very short answer is yes you can.

U.S. providers regularly outsource billing/coding to companies in other parts of the world. HIPAA guidelines still apply, of course.

My guess is this would be very unlikely. If you are working for a US based organization, you are almost always required to be located in the US. In fact, many companies will only hire remote from specific states. This usually is for legal reasons (labor law and/or tax law stuff). My company for example - does have several outsourced vendors working in foreign countries. However, if I am hiring an employee (fully remote), I am only allowed to do so from certain states, and never not in the US.
The providers that do outsource to non US organizations usually do so because of cost savings in a country where labor costs are a fraction of US labor costs. I don't think that most of Europe would fall into that category. In any of my experience (professional or personal) with outsourced work, I've never encountered an offshore person working in Europe.
Maybe there is someone reading the forum in this situation that can weigh in.

My guess is this would be very unlikely. If you are working for a US based organization, you are almost always required to be located in the US. In fact, many companies will only hire remote from specific states. This usually is for legal reasons (labor law and/or tax law stuff). My company for example - does have several outsourced vendors working in foreign countries. However, if I am hiring an employee (fully remote), I am only allowed to do so from certain states, and never not in the US.
The providers that do outsource to non US organizations usually do so because of cost savings in a country where labor costs are a fraction of US labor costs. I don't think that most of Europe would fall into that category. In any of my experience (professional or personal) with outsourced work, I've never encountered an offshore person working in Europe.
Maybe there is someone reading the forum in this situation that can weigh in.
csperoni - what you have said is what I was thinking. Having applied for and worked remotely for 6 years I know that many remote positions are 'state sensitive' and for the reasons you mention. Agree also that employing someone in Europe would not result in labor cost savings for a company.
Just thought I would put the question out there. Oh well - I will have to continue retirement uninterrupted by having to work.