Wiki which ICD 10 code should you use for Irinotecan / Oxaliplatin?

LauraNewYork

Networker
Best answers
I'm a little perplexed. Has anyone noticed that there are two codes each for irinotecan and oxaliplatin?

Irinotecan is listed as Z79.634-long term use of topoisomerase inhibitor and also as Z79.64-long term use of myelosuppressive agent.
Oxaliplatin is listed as Z79.64 long term use of myelosuppressive agent and also as Z79.630-long term use of alkylating agent.

I guess my next question is whether the double code listing for each drug was a typo? Or if this is not a typo, is there a way to tell which code to use when reading the medical notes?

I don't find either of those drug names listed in the original ICD-10 publication. Are you seeing this in an encoder or in an edition of the book where other information has been added to assist with coding? If so, you'd probably need to inquire and request clarification from whoever is responsible for maintaining the particular coding tool you're using.

Hi, Good Evening,
From my notes I have long-term use of Irinotecan with Z79.634 and long-term use of Oxaliplatin with Z79.630 (BTW this was from my personal research back in very late August when diagnosis code Z79.899 was to be branched out to catch more specificity with new more specific diagnosis codes).
Thank you for listening and have a great evening,
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB, RHIT

Dana, I appreciate your information.

I have the 2023 ICD-10-CM Expert from AAPC. In Appendix A: Z Codes for Long-term Use of Drugs on page 1349 Irinotecan is listed as Z79.634 and Z79.64. On page 1352 Oxaliplatin is listed as Z79.64 and Z79.630.