Wiki Anti Reflux Mucosal Ablation (ARMA)

chaskins

New
Best answers
What is the best way to code the ARMA procedure (Anti Reflux Mucosal Ablation)?

I have done little with GI coding with EGD's and am looking for advice.

Can you post the op note (with ppi redacted)?
Without an op note, I was looking at 43257 if the doctor used an EGD/scope to perform this. If coding pro fee, use a -52 or -52 modifier if doc didn't advance the scope all the way to the duodenum. If coding fac fee, use a -52 or -74. Sometimes when a Gastroenterologist is doing scope work only on the esophagus or stomach, there's no need to advance the scope to the duodenum.
There is a 43229 for esophagoscopy (not advancing beyond esophagus/stomach) with ablation but I think it's pretty specific for ablation of tumors, polyps, lesions. That wouldn't fit because the ARMA isn't for lesions, etc.
Hope that helps.

Can you post the op note (with ppi redacted)?
Without an op note, I was looking at 43257 if the doctor used an EGD/scope to perform this. If coding pro fee, use a -52 or -52 modifier if doc didn't advance the scope all the way to the duodenum. If coding fac fee, use a -52 or -74. Sometimes when a Gastroenterologist is doing scope work only on the esophagus or stomach, there's no need to advance the scope to the duodenum.
There is a 43229 for esophagoscopy (not advancing beyond esophagus/stomach) with ablation but I think it's pretty specific for ablation of tumors, polyps, lesions. That wouldn't fit because the ARMA isn't for lesions, etc.
Hope that helps.
Thanks, yes, this does help.