Wiki Entry level remote jobs

peaceloveerin

Networker
Best answers
Be honest...is it even possible to get a remote coding job as an entry-level coder? I've been working remotely for over 8 years now and have no intention whatsoever to work on-site after all this time. Also, the E/M codes are pretty much a nightmare for me and I wouldn't want a position where I'd have to do those.

As far as your question - yes. We have brand new coders on our team and are 100% remote. However, there are very few specialities where you wouldn't encounter E&M..

Be honest...is it even possible to get a remote coding job as an entry-level coder? I've been working remotely for over 8 years now and have no intention whatsoever to work on-site after all this time. Also, the E/M codes are pretty much a nightmare for me and I wouldn't want a position where I'd have to do those.

If you don't want to do any E/M codes at all, you may want to consider lab, radiology, or risk adjustment.

There are 2 lab/pathology coding companies based in my area that are willing to hire CPC-A, and also hire remote employees.

I had managers from these companies come in to do a coding careers panel at one of my recent chapter meetings, which is how I have confirmation that they are willing to hire CPC-A. It doesn't mean that they always have CPC-A openings available, but it is worth keeping an eye out for their openings:

For risk adjustment, there are a lot of companies and vendors. There are a lot of threads here about risk adjustment vendors and recruiters, and you can also find a wealth of information on Facebook and LinkedIn.

Good luck in your search!

I think it is 100% possible now. Prior to Covid and greater than maybe 5 years ago I would have said no. There's just no way larger companies, providers, and practices can only offer on-site now. The ability to stay connected and work remotely is just too good now not to. The candidate pool is so much better when you can offer remote. I think brand new coders definitely need more support, audits, check-ins and an experienced peer/mentor when they start a new position, but it can definitely be done. When I was starting out, many years ago, there was no way I could be on an island and not have support or a senior coder to ask for help and guidance. However, many companies don't have the resources or ability to provide this extra training and guidance so they only want to look for "experienced" coders. But everyone needs support so I might be wary if there is no education or support for anyone.

I agree with Susan, those would be good areas to look into to avoid E/M.

If you don't want to do any E/M codes at all, you may want to consider lab, radiology, or risk adjustment.

There are 2 lab/pathology coding companies based in my area that are willing to hire CPC-A, and also hire remote employees.

I had managers from these companies come in to do a coding careers panel at one of my recent chapter meetings, which is how I have confirmation that they are willing to hire CPC-A. It doesn't mean that they always have CPC-A openings available, but it is worth keeping an eye out for their openings:

For risk adjustment, there are a lot of companies and vendors. There are a lot of threads here about risk adjustment vendors and recruiters, and you can also find a wealth of information on Facebook and LinkedIn.

Good luck in your search!
Doesn't look like either of those two links you posted are hiring entry-level coders right now, plus I don't have any familiarity with risk adjustment coding as I'm only a CPC-A.

I think it is 100% possible now. Prior to Covid and greater than maybe 5 years ago I would have said no. There's just no way larger companies, providers, and practices can only offer on-site now. The ability to stay connected and work remotely is just too good now not to. The candidate pool is so much better when you can offer remote. I think brand new coders definitely need more support, audits, check-ins and an experienced peer/mentor when they start a new position, but it can definitely be done. When I was starting out, many years ago, there was no way I could be on an island and not have support or a senior coder to ask for help and guidance. However, many companies don't have the resources or ability to provide this extra training and guidance so they only want to look for "experienced" coders. But everyone needs support so I might be wary if there is no education or support for anyone.

I agree with Susan, those would be good areas to look into to avoid E/M.
Is it necessary to have a risk adjustment coding credential?

Doesn't look like either of those two links you posted are hiring entry-level coders right now, plus I don't have any familiarity with risk adjustment coding as I'm only a CPC-A.

CPC-A can be hired for risk adjustment. There are frequently positions posted from different recruiting companies with risk adjustment positions open for CPC-A.

You should have a presence on LinkedIn and in the different Facebook groups where recruiters post openings. Be your own best advocate.

Good luck in your search.