Wiki ICD-10 book has an incorrect excludes 1 - whom do I contact?

bradhamilton

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

There is an incorrect excludes 1 for DX R41.3:

"amnestic syndrome due to psychoactive substance use (F10-F19 with 5th character .6)"

The *only* DX in that code range that has a fifth character of .6 is:

F19.16 - Other psychoactive substance abuse with psychoactive substance-induced persisting amnestic disorder.

So the excludes 1 *should* read:

"amnestic syndrome due to psychoactive substance use - F19.16

Is there any way to have AMA correct this mistake? Our coding software threw an edit because of this lack of specificity - I can work around this error, but I've seen similar errors with other Excludes 1 which offer a DX range, rather than a specific code.

Thanks!

Hello,

There is an incorrect excludes 1 for DX R41.3:

"amnestic syndrome due to psychoactive substance use (F10-F19 with 5th character .6)"

The *only* DX in that code range that has a fifth character of .6 is:

F19.16 - Other psychoactive substance abuse with psychoactive substance-induced persisting amnestic disorder.

So the excludes 1 *should* read:

"amnestic syndrome due to psychoactive substance use - F19.16

Is there any way to have AMA correct this mistake? Our coding software threw an edit because of this lack of specificity - I can work around this error, but I've seen similar errors with other Excludes 1 which offer a DX range, rather than a specific code.

Thanks!

The AMA is responsible for CPT, not ICD-10-CM.

Errors to ICD-10-CM can be reported to the CDC. They have an email address for reporting ICD-10-CM errors. The website also has errata for corrections that have already been made.

Here's the CDC's page for ICD-10-CM. You can find the errata and the email address for reporting errors at this link:

Last edited:
FWIW, I did find other codes in that range with a 5th digit of 6:

F10.26 Alcohol dependence with alcohol-induced persisting amnestic disorder

F10.96 Alcohol use, unspecified with alcohol-induced persisting amnestic disorder

F13.26 Sedative, hypnotic or anxiolytic dependence with sedative, hypnotic or anxiolytic-induced persisting amnestic disorder

F13.96 Sedative, hypnotic or anxiolytic use, unspecified with sedative, hypnotic or anxiolytic-induced persisting amnestic disorder

F19.26 Other psychoactive substance dependence with psychoactive substance-induced persisting amnestic disorder

F19.96 Other psychoactive substance use, unspecified with psychoactive substance-induced persisting amnestic disorder

I may have skipped over a few additional - I just took a quick glance at the CDC data file for 2024. At any rate, there are definitely multiple codes that fall under that Excludes note.

Thanks - I appreciate the link and the thoroughness!

The worst part about this issue is the billing app that we use - it threw the error when r41.3 an f10.10 were coded on the same claim!

I'm also a little leery about the CDC including "potential" code ranges for Excludes 1 - doesn't that go against the whole concept of accurate coding, and coding to the most specific code possible?

Or am I just being too picky here?

Thanks - I appreciate the link and the thoroughness!

The worst part about this issue is the billing app that we use - it threw the error when r41.3 an f10.10 were coded on the same claim!

I'm also a little leery about the CDC including "potential" code ranges for Excludes 1 - doesn't that go against the whole concept of accurate coding, and coding to the most specific code possible?

Or am I just being too picky here?

Is it possible to revise the edits in your billing app? It sounds like that could be the crux of the issue - especially since there are other codes with a 5th digit of 6 in that code range.

Unfortunately, no - we can make suggestions to the vendor, but our suggestions are usually ignored, even when we are correct - which is why we are dropping this vendor and moving to a (hopefully) better vendor in June.

I do understand that there are multiple 5th digits with .6 in the coding range, but who has the time? I have literally hundreds of claims to evaluate each working day.