Wiki New Office Set Up Help

MeghanB15

New
Best answers
I work at a family practice office with two providers that opened in March of this year. When we opened, we had another member of staff with more experience that was supposed to be making sure we were good to go with forms for patient check-in and all our HIPAA/OSHA compliance requirements. This staff member is no longer with us due to other conduct issues.

As I have taken over both the front and back end of our revenue cycle, I am begining to feel like we are missing quite a bit. I have created forms for our financial and patient responsibility contracts, Authorizations for Use/Disclosure of PHI, Consent for Treatment forms, and completed the Privacy Policy template with our information. I still feel like there are still things missing, but I am at a point where I am unsure what else we need.

Another issue I am running into is that our current billing program doesn't have a report that will show all claim details for each claim for a selected date range. At this time, I am manually entering charge amounts, patient payment amounts, and insurance payment details into a spreadsheet in Excel. This is becoming very time consuming. The goal is to have a program that will track billed amounts, patient payments, and a breakdown of insurance responses by how much was paid, went to deductible, or was adjusted so that we can see not only individual claim details but general totals as well all on one report.

I have only been in this industry since March of this year. I know this is a long shot, but I would really appreciate some suggestions on resolving these two issues.

Thank You!

When I started my billing business, I used a company, who helped me for billing system, EDI, ERA, Eligibility, etc. setup, trainings, on-going support at the most competitive charges. You may get more information at http:\\www.admcsi.com and talk to them about both questions. The are very good in those. Hoping this helped you.

I've never seen a billing system that required using manual Excel spreadsheets. And I've been working in medical offices for 25+ years. Like using dot matrix printers old, but still could run reports.
Either you have an extremely antiquated system, or simply need training on the features.
If you are a small private practice, I strongly recommend joining a MSO/ACO in your area. One of the many benefits of doing so is to help with these types of administrative burdens. While there is a cost associated with doing so, for insurances that they have negotiated fee schedules, you may see slightly higher reimbursement.
Good luck!

Are you using an EMR that has a billing component? If so, there should be help available from your EMR that will guide you through the reporting options, etc. Joining a Physician organization are very helpful. They provide guidance with insurance contracts you have with them.