Broadcast: Sep 16, 2015 at 8:30AM
On Demand Availability: September 16, 2015
Presenter: Brenda Edwards, CPC, CPB, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC, CRCCaroline Persin Wolbrecht, CPC, CPC-IChelisa Devine Clark, COC, CPC, CPC-P, CIRCC, CPC-IColleen Gianatasio, CPC, CPC-P, CPMA, CPC-I, CRCCorrie L Alvarez, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I, CEDCElin Baklid-Kunz, CPC, CPMAGina L Hobert, COC, CPC, CPC-I, CEMCJaci J. Kipreos, COC, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMCJonnie Massey, CPC, CPC-P, CPMA, CPC-IJulie F Pope, COC, CPC, CPMA, CPC-IKathleen M Skolnick, COC, CPC, CPCO, CPB, CPMA, CPPM, CPC-ILashelle Bolton, COC, CPC, CPMA, CPC-ILeanne Walls, CPCLinda Hallstrom, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMCMichael D Miscoe, Esq, CPC, CPCO, CPMA, CASCC, CCPC, CUCPeggy L PughQuita Edwards, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I, COSCStephanie Cecchini, CHISP, CPC, CEMCSusan Ward, COC, CPC, CPC-I, CEMC, CPCD, CPRCToni Kimmons Slocum, CPC, CPC-PYvonne D Dailey, CPC, CPB, CPC-I
This workshop highlights frequent (but problematic) methods used in code selection, such as utilizing the Evaluation and Management Documentation Guideline’s Medical Decision Making component to determine Medical Necessity. This and other myths can lead to coder confusion that may artificially inflate (or deflate) coding. This workshop also provides you with alternate solutions that really work.
What You Will Learn:
This workshop debunks these common myths (and more):
- How to confidently code the correct E/M level every time
- Discover when documentation becomes a compliance problem
- How to stop over-coding or under-coding claims based on Medical Necessity
- E/M myths that cause errors
- "I can use the level of the MDM to validate the Medical Necessity of the service"
- "My EMR suggested the code, which validates that the level of service is correct"
- "When an established patient has three chronic conditions, the code is always a 99214"
- "An 'unobtainable history' is automatically equal to a comprehensive history"
- "I document the total time and counseling at 50%, therefore the service level is always correct"
If you work with physicians or providers, this workshop will provide you with valuable insights to communicate more effectively with them and other stakeholders about E/M coding and Medical Necessity issues.
- Gain an essential understanding of regulations that effect E/M documentation
- Combat today’s most challenging E/M leveling errors with actionable information
- Learn the 5 things every coder should do to code E/M correctly and confidently
*On demand and virtual workshops are for single person use only and may not be rebroadcast,
retransmitted, shared or disseminated. A computer with a high speed Internet connection
and speakers (or headphones) is recommended to connect to the event.