ICD-10 Proficiency Assessment
The ICD-10 Proficiency Assessment is the only step of our training plan required for all certified
AAPC members (excluding CPPM®, CPCO™, and CIRCC®). You should prepare yourself as you would for other exams or assessments. To
ensure employers continue to have confidence in a certified coder’s ability to accurately
code the current code sets, AAPC certified members will have two years to pass an open-book,
online, unproctored assessment.
It will measure your understanding of ICD-10-CM format and structure, groupings and categories
of codes, ICD-10-CM official guidelines, and coding concepts.
- Required for all AAPC credential holders (excluding CPPM®, CPCO™, and CIRCC®), recommended for all others working with the new code set
- Two (2) years to take and pass the assessment, beginning October 1, 2013 (one
year before implementation of ICD-10)
and ending September 30, 2015 (one year after implementation)
- 75 questions, 3.5 hours, open-book, online, unproctored, use any resource available
- Coders will have two (2) attempts at passing (reaching an 80% score) over a two year window (Oct 1, 2013 – Sept.
30, 2015) for the $60 administration fee
- ICD-10-CM only (ICD-10-PCS will not be covered in the assessment)
- No CEUs given
Tip: Prepare for the Proficiency Assessment with the Online Proficiency Prep Tool.