Wiki Bariatric Coding

philwjp

Networker
Best answers
Is partial gastrectomy included in RNY Gastric Bypass? 43644 is RNY Gastric Bypass. My doctor is wanting to bill for partial gastrectomy as well. I'm thinking its included in 43644. Does anyone know? Thanks.
Lynda Wright, CPC

Yes, unless your doctor is doing the gastrectomy for a different purpose, such as lets say treating gastric cancer plus the obesity with the gastric bypass then yes. But that's the purpose of the Roux-en-Y bypass, to make the stomach smaller, they excised most of it and leave a small pouch then connected to the jejunum.

Hope this helps.

A partial gastrectomy is not part of the RNY. In the RNY the stomach is divided and the roux limb attached to the remnant pouch. The remaining stomach is left in place. Doing a partial gastrectomy on the remaining portion of stomach is another procedure (assuming there is medical necessity)

A partial gastrectomy is not part of the RNY. In the RNY the stomach is divided and the roux limb attached to the remnant pouch. The remaining stomach is left in place. Doing a partial gastrectomy on the remaining portion of stomach is another procedure (assuming there is medical necessity)

You are completely right, I had this idea the excised stomach was taken out, but you are right, they leave it in. So as you said, if there is an actual indictation/reason for why they did it then that could definitely be reported separately.