Wiki EMG Guidance for Trigger Point Injections

Best answers
Hello,

Coding scenario: Pain Med provider gives a patient trigger point injections using EMG guidance. The medication used for the trigger point injections was Lidocaine.
Is there a code we can use for the EMG guidance for trigger point injections (with only Lidocaine used)?
I was looking at code 95874, but this code specifically states 'with chemodenervation' (for botox).

Last edited:
Hi
Use CPT 20552 and 20553 add J code for medications these are normally for trigger point injections scenario
I hope helped you
Lady T.
Hi Lady T,
Thank you so much for your help!
I was wondering, if the provider used EMG guidance with trigger point injections, can we use add-on code 95874 (for the EMG guidance) on to 20553 (trigger point injections)?

Hi JenFerDawn
I never have used that CPT 95874 but it is a separate muscle procedure & allowed per the CPT manual. I d use it but use modifier 59 to or XS if on differ muscle group & for differ treatment on same day during same procedure. So the patient is getting botox on face use CPT 95874.The trigger point 20553 for large muscle like arms or legs or shoulder or hip joints. Check the CPT manual it may clear more data up for you too:)
Lady T

Last edited: