Wiki 99460 & 99462

WKGRAY67

Contributor
Best answers
Hi-Just started with pediatric hospitalists and have question. For 99460 & 99462 is Z38.0_ used? Have seen that, Z76.2 or Z00.1_ as prime and none quite seem correct.
Thanks-Wendy

Last edited:
Z38.0 requires a 5th digit required and you are likely to get claims rejected or denied for billing without the 5th digit. There only 2 codes in this range:
Z38.00-Single liveborn infant, delivered vaginally.
Z38.01-Single liveborn infant, delivered by cesarean.

Per Encoder Pro: Range "Z38": These codes are used as the principal diagnosis on all newborn birth records and only for that first birth encounter. The codes in this category capture whether the newborn was a single birth or part of a multiple birth, whether the delivery was vaginal or cesarean, and whether or not the newborn was born inside or outside of the hospital.

I think it is correct to use the Z38.00 & Z38.01 codes based on this information rather than Z76.2 or Z00.1.

Z38.0 requires a 5th digit required and you are likely to get claims rejected or denied for billing without the 5th digit. There only 2 codes in this range:
Z38.00-Single liveborn infant, delivered vaginally.
Z38.01-Single liveborn infant, delivered by cesarean.

Per Encoder Pro: Range "Z38": These codes are used as the principal diagnosis on all newborn birth records and only for that first birth encounter. The codes in this category capture whether the newborn was a single birth or part of a multiple birth, whether the delivery was vaginal or cesarean, and whether or not the newborn was born inside or outside of the hospital.

I think it is correct to use the Z38.00 & Z38.01 codes based on this information rather than Z76.2 or Z00.1.
That's why I'm confused is "first birth encounter", so that makes sound like cannot use for sub day code 99462. Thanks! W