Wiki Artificial Intelligence good or bad?

nadineguiliano

Contributor
Best answers
With all that is going on with the Writers and SAG and the valid threats of AI, it has forced me to look at our industry and where we are headed. I have a friend who is an acting coach in the industry. Recently we switched to Epic Medial Records, which is a fantastic program. I was really excited about Epic coming and being a more cohesive medical record with local Sutter and Kaiser. Its global care at its best! Then, I noticed algorithms adding 'suspected conditions to the chart based on labs, medication or other studies. Then we were given a significant list of conditions to drop from our reviews because Epic was programmed to find these so our process is more streamlined. More and more conditions are popping up on this auto populated suggestion list and to add to this, we have incorporated Apixio to our process. I am seeing a very scary future where instead of coders to Audit, there will be a small handful of coders to "clean up" what the AI missed. Thus reducing positions and payroll significantly.

What are all of you seeing and what have you heard? Im very concerned about this and what sort of future I have. If you have more insight into this i would love to see it posted. I can't possibly be the only one seeing this process. I appreciate any and all input.

Hi Nadine
I believe AI will make more medical coders/abstracting staff seen as valuable players in the healthcare arena. Some of the dribble on AI computer collection is not necessary the true facts regarding each patient's medical story intertwined with coding and different payer s regulations. Patients vary and so can disease , illness or injury reasons each may suffer with. Also I think A1 computing will be used by the payers more thus raising insurance denials rates if coding and documentation not done properly the first time. AI will be great tool in some medical issues as collections of drugs to be used on a patient when they maybe allergic to other medicines. AI gathering/computing will give doctors more of options in template use. But will AI be able to discern the relationship between provider and patient...all those health and personal details? Nah. In addition, will AI be able to discern medical abbreviations that are similar such as: PE has 2 differ disease names and cervical has 2 medical meanings. It will be interesting time because some of the AI data news I heard can cause bias and make errors. The ICD10 PCS inpatient procedures and annual medical coding changes will keep AI at bay....they will still need medical coders to review and discern. However might lose medical scribes and paralegals with use of AI.
I hope this eases your concern.
Lady T