Wiki EMR's and scanning

Love Coding!

Expert
Best answers
:eek:We have a practice with slow typers. Our patients' fill out a patient intake form (PFSH and ROS) the ROS portion is hard copied and given to the physician at the time of the patients' appointment. That original intake form with BOTH PFSH and ROS is scanned into the EMR system on a later day. The physician waits on the MA to enter the PFSH in the EMR template before the physician can go into that patients' EMR chart and complete the medical record. My question is; Is there a standard time frame as to "when" these intake forms SHOULD be scanned into the EMR? This WHOLE situation is based on saving time for the physician. That is why it is our MA's role to type into the EMR the patients PFSH. The physician handles the ROS. Oh by the way we have 4 fully scheduled physicians everyday and only 1 person scanning this information in. So this holds up the MA's to go in and type the PFSH into the EMR. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone who deals with EMR's know the answer to this question? We are currently working with an EMR and still have not worked out the bugs yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

GeminiCoder74 :)

:eek:We have a practice with slow typers. Our patients' fill out a patient intake form (PFSH and ROS) the ROS portion is hard copied and given to the physician at the time of the patients' appointment. That original intake form with BOTH PFSH and ROS is scanned into the EMR system on a later day. The physician waits on the MA to enter the PFSH in the EMR template before the physician can go into that patients' EMR chart and complete the medical record. My question is; Is there a standard time frame as to "when" these intake forms SHOULD be scanned into the EMR? This WHOLE situation is based on saving time for the physician. That is why it is our MA's role to type into the EMR the patients PFSH. The physician handles the ROS. Oh by the way we have 4 fully scheduled physicians everyday and only 1 person scanning this information in. So this holds up the MA's to go in and type the PFSH into the EMR. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone who deals with EMR's know the answer to this question? We are currently working with an EMR and still have not worked out the bugs yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

GeminiCoder74 (which I appreciate because I'm a Gemini as well),

You hire a really fast, accurate typist who is also a CPC-A. Desperately needs a job and is trying to break into the field in any capacity. By the way that would be ME!!!

The fun thing about EMR use is that you have to re-evaluate your work flow. What once worked in a paper world is often a big time-waster in the EMR world.

All patient information necessary for the provider's review at the time of visit should be available to him/her prior to seeing the patient. So whether it's scanned in, given as a hard copy, or entered into the EMR, he/she needs to have that information in front of them in order to use it to support documentation guidelines.

I'm not sure why you're spending time typing? Most EMRs are set up for selecting radio buttons for reporting PFSH, and particularly ROS. If staff skills are holding you back, I'd recommend you send your staff to keyboarding classes. With EMR software soon to be required for every provider accepting CMS payment, you cannot afford to not have technology-savvy employees.

It might be more efficient to have you have the patient come in early to redo history or to do some phone updates. We did both in the practice I worked in. It is time consuming until you get all patients in but it really speeds up once the information is in.

It takes a long time to work bugs out and redesign your work flow.

Thank you Rhonda and my other coding collegue. I have been swamped with dictation. I have not visited the site since February. Your insight was greatly appreciated!