Wiki Incorrect date of service

Pkirsch1

Networker
Best answers
Hello,
My charger put in the wrong DOS, so this patient has 2 dos for the same day, and they are United Health Care Medicare. They cannot have 2 visits on the same day. The wrong dos already went out, but the other is on hold. Should I keep the one on hold until I send a corrected claim for the one that already went out with the wrong DOS? Or should I send the other one out?

You could do this either way, but if I were doing it, I'd go ahead and send the new claim with the corrected date of service, and then flag the two claims on the same date for correction once they have both been processed by the payer. If you're lucky, they'll just deny the incorrect claim as a duplicate and you won't have to do anything more. But if they end up paying the incorrect claim, then you'll need to have them void that claim, and/or adjust the claim that should have been paid, if it was denied.

You could do this either way, but if I were doing it, I'd go ahead and send the new claim with the corrected date of service, and then flag the two claims on the same date for correction once they have both been processed by the payer. If you're lucky, they'll just deny the incorrect claim as a duplicate and you won't have to do anything more. But if they end up paying the incorrect claim, then you'll need to have them void that claim, and/or adjust the claim that should have been paid, if it was denied.
Thank you Thomas!