Wiki MOCA Test

KoBee

Expert
Best answers
Anyone familiar with Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MOCA) test. I been searching for correct CPT and the closes I have found is CPT 96125 or 99483, any help would be greatly appreciated it.

Hi Kobee,
I d use the CPT 99483 for MOCA if for the Dementia or elderly patient with such symptoms . See below...

CPT Code 99483 provides reimbursement to physicians and other eligible billing practitioners for a comprehensive clinical visit that results in a written care plan. Code 99483 requires an independent historian; a multidimensional assessment that includes cognition, function, and safety; evaluation of neuropsychiatric and behavioral symptoms; review and reconciliation of medications; and assessment of the needs of the patient’s caregiver.

CPT Code 96125 for assessment of aphasia ,speech and cognitive performance testing use code 96105 and 96125, respectively. For developmental/behavioral screening and testing use codes 96110, 96112, 96113, and 96127. For neurobehavioral status examinations (includes test administration, scoring, interpretation and report) for speech & or autism.

Well hope this data helps you..
Lady T

Hi Kobee,
I d use the CPT 99483 for MOCA if for the Dementia or elderly patient with such symptoms . See below...

CPT Code 99483 provides reimbursement to physicians and other eligible billing practitioners for a comprehensive clinical visit that results in a written care plan. Code 99483 requires an independent historian; a multidimensional assessment that includes cognition, function, and safety; evaluation of neuropsychiatric and behavioral symptoms; review and reconciliation of medications; and assessment of the needs of the patient’s caregiver.

CPT Code 96125 for assessment of aphasia ,speech and cognitive performance testing use code 96105 and 96125, respectively. For developmental/behavioral screening and testing use codes 96110, 96112, 96113, and 96127. For neurobehavioral status examinations (includes test administration, scoring, interpretation and report) for speech & or autism.

Well hope this data helps you..
Lady T
Thank you,

After speaking with a provider who does the MOCA, provider mentioned there is no written plan, they usually do the test and then schedule the patient to come back for results and written plan is done on follow up. With saying that, that would not constitute a 99483, correct?

Thank you,

After speaking with a provider who does the MOCA, provider mentioned there is no written plan, they usually do the test and then schedule the patient to come back for results and written plan is done on follow up. With saying that, that would not constitute a 99483, correct?
CPT 99483 for 60 minutes of total time.
CPT 99417 for 75 minutes or longer of total time.

I believe the expectation is that everything specified under CPT 99483 is performed on the same day.

See the following for more info: