Wiki MOLST or provider note, which takes precedence

ivesteresa@yahoo.com

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hi Everyone,

I work in a nursing home. We have a patient whose MOLST is from 5/2022 and states she has capacity. Every regulatory visit note starting in 7/2022 states she has severe dementia and cannot contribute to patient history or ROS, but her MOLST has not been updated. Her son, who is her HCP, has been making medical decisions for her. He is going out of the country for a few months and wants to name his sister as secondary HCP so she can make decisions while his is gone. I thought the MOLST trumped almost everything, which means we would need her signature on any paperwork appointing a secondary HCP. Our provider states that the physician notes on the regulatory visit would outweigh the MOLST.

I haven't been able to find anything addressing a situation like this regarding the MOLST. I would appreciate any advice or feedback. Thank you so much in advance!

Teresa

Seems like it should be covered in here. This seems like a better question for the attorney or compliance department at the facility.

"The medical orders on the form need not be re-issued by the patient's new health care provider, but should be reviewed and may be revised by a physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant, when the patient transitions to a different setting and when the patient's preferences and/or medical conditions change."

Seems like it should be covered in here. This seems like a better question for the attorney or compliance department at the facility.

"The medical orders on the form need not be re-issued by the patient's new health care provider, but should be reviewed and may be revised by a physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant, when the patient transitions to a different setting and when the patient's preferences and/or medical conditions change."

Thank you so much! I spent 2 hours Saturday and 2 hours yesterday looking online all that and didn't find that. Or my brain was too fried for it to register when I did see it. lol Thank you again!