Wiki Psychotherapy via Telehealth While on Vacation

b3ckalano

New
Best answers
Hi there, and thank you all in advance!

I have a behavioral health provider (LPC) who has an opportunity to work remotely in another country for a few months and was hoping to continue to see their patients via telehealth while away. The provider is licensed in the state all of their patients would be while the services are performed, and the connection will be secure. Does anybody know if that is allowed, or even where I can find regulations regarding this?

Is there an annual number of days they can perform services while away? If it is allowed, should we be updating the address on the claims to reflect the provider's location while performing services, or can we continue to use the provider's permanent address in the US?

Sorry, please, and thanks again!

Most of the advice out there is for physicians, and the answer to that is "maybe as long as it's not Medicare." Medicare explicitly does not permit it.
Some of the best sites for references about physicians working abroad are:

You should do additional extensive research and I would suggest legal advice to confirm. To start:
Does the country being visited allow work like this without a work permit in this situation?
Does the malpractice policy cover this?
If billing insurances, what are their individual requirements IF allowed?
Does your EMR and telehealth software allow foreign IP addresses?
Is this acceptable to whatever organization the LPC maintains their credential with?

Most of the advice out there is for physicians, and the answer to that is "maybe as long as it's not Medicare." Medicare explicitly does not permit it.
Some of the best sites for references about physicians working abroad are:

You should do additional extensive research and I would suggest legal advice to confirm. To start:
Does the country being visited allow work like this without a work permit in this situation?
Does the malpractice policy cover this?
If billing insurances, what are their individual requirements IF allowed?
Does your EMR and telehealth software allow foreign IP addresses?
Is this acceptable to whatever organization the LPC maintains their credential with?
Thank you! Super helpful!