Wiki UnitedHealthcare Start and Stop Times for Therapy

ejhahn

New
Best answers
Hello! Unitedhealthcare updated their policy MMG193.C in July 2023 - Habilitation and Rehabilitation Therapy (Occupational, Physical and Speech) - and per the Treatment Session Notes below, the start and stop time must be included in the therapist's note. I am unable to pull the previous policy to see if the "start and stop time in treatment" was always required by UHC or if this is new. Currently, we document the total time spent with the patient and not the actual start and stop times. We haven't received any denials, but would like to have this clarified. If anyone has any insight, please let me know! Thank you!
1699886521135.png

You can always reach out to UHC and ask for the previous version of this document so you can see if the previous version listed this item as a requirement. Additionally, most carriers include a list of what the revisions to a document were when they post updated versions of a document, usually as the very beginning or end of the document. So, you might check the policy you are looking at to see if there is a list of the changes were to this policy.

I don't know if you were looking for UHC Indiana policies but all I could find was California specific policy and one labeled "UnitedHealthcare West Medical Management Guideline" MM193.E" that indicates it applies to CA, OK, OR, TX and WA and this policy was updated effective 11/01/23. This is obviously not your policy since your state isn't listed and the policy ends "E" rather than "C". However, I bring this up to show you where the document references the changes made to the policy.
1699890882736.png

Yes, I did check the Summary of Changes and nothing was noted about the Treatment Session Notes. Thank you for your response!