Wiki ?

RebeccaB

Guru
Best answers
Our doctor saw pt in the ER...DX: metal fitting on penile shaft...Procedure: metal fitting cut in 2 places with air powered rotary grinder and then was able to be removed

Thoughts on how this should be billed ??

Thanks
Rebecca

Our doctor saw pt in the ER...DX: metal fitting on penile shaft...Procedure: metal fitting cut in 2 places with air powered rotary grinder and then was able to be removed

Thoughts on how this should be billed ??

Thanks
Rebecca

This calls for a query. Upon reading, it appears as though this is an injury. Was the patient using a grinder and cut him/herself in two places? Was a metal piece embedded in the shaft and had to be removed?
If so, code the injury, cause of injury, activity, place of injury. The documentation is very skimpy and I would query first.

Patient put it on himself, grinder had to be used to cut into pieces to be able to get it removed

Wow, I did not expect that...

Try this code, S30.842A with W49.09XA and the appropriate external cause codes.

Last edited:
We didn't either..

Thanks for the dx's...any thoughts on how to bill the procedure ??

Thanks
Rebecca

There is currently no CPT code for this type of removal or entrapment. Your only choice is to utilize the appropriate level of E&M code 99201-99215 with the, hopefully well documented, medical decision making driving the level. I realize a specific CPT for the removal was wanted. I liken it to the removal of a ring from a finger. There is not a procedure code for this common occurance.