Wiki 2 Psychotherapy codes same DOS, different providers

kimberly514

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Patient saw MD and also the Psychologist on the same day. Both provided Psychotherapy. MD billed 99215 due to time and the psychologist billed 90832. I queried the MD about him billing 99215 based on time and he said that he provided 40 minutes of Psychotherapy, but didn't think he could bill 99214 w/ 90836 because the therapist would be billing for psychotherapy.

So, my question is... can more than one provider (in the same practice) bill for psychotherapy on the same date of service. It won't be the same code (since the therapist isn't billing for E/M), but essentially it's still for psychotherapy.

Thanks!

That's not a problem. There are several times where a practice will bill both group psychotherapy (90853) and 60min individual psychotherapy (90837). Now one of those two will need a modifier 59 and I have usually billed or seen billed the second service with the modifier. But with regards to a physician or APRN providing E/M with a psychotherapy add-on and then a therapist doing individual or group, not a problem at all. So if a practice (either with identical or different providers) can bill for both group and individual, there has never been an instance I've seen where a prescriber cannot bill with psychotherapy add-ons when a therapist is going to provide psychotherapy services later, or vice versa.

And I would have definitely billed 99214 + 90836 over 99215 as the reimbursement rates will be better. :)