Wiki 2 visits under same tax ID

pJohnson15

Networker
Best answers
I posted this question in another forum, but got no response. Any feedback is appreciated.

If a patient is seen in our family clinic by a physician assistant who transfers the patient to our ER, would both visits under the same tax ID# be billable?

I posted this question in another forum, but got no response. Any feedback is appreciated.

If a patient is seen in our family clinic by a physician assistant who transfers the patient to our ER, would both visits under the same tax ID# be billable?
Family practice and emergency medicine are two different specialties, so both visits can be billed. Some practices, however, will make a visit no-charge as a courtesy to the patient if, due to the urgent nature of their condition, they can't be treated safely at the office/clinic and must be transferred to an emergency department within the same organization on that same day.

Thank you for your response. This makes sense when a physician from both locations sees a patient, but according to the CPT book, "When advanced practice nurses and physician assistants are working with physicians, they are considered as working in the exact same specialty and exact same subspecialty as the physician." This is where my confusion lies. Would they be considered the same specialty/subspecialty as the family practice or the ER physician?